Cliquez pour agrandir cliquez pour agrandir

- House's origins

The building that today houses the Maison des Adirondacks was built by the Huguenots at the end of the Sixteenth Century, after the Edict of Nantes, to serve as a place of worship. Entrains was, indeed, an important site of Protestantism during the tumultuous years of the religious wars. During this time, practically all the cellars of the village’s houses, constructed upon Gallo-Roman foundations, were interconnected, permitting access to underground passageways that emerged several kilometers away in a cleared part of the countryside. The residents of this small village were thus able, sometimes, to escape the armies of their aggressors.

For these reasons, the Maison des Adirondacks includes two small rooms that formerly served as a chapel under its vaulted ceiling, a spiral stairway in stone leading to large rooms decorated with French-style ceilings, and a beautiful gothic cellar that still bears the traces of its underground passageway.


This three-story building offers a superb view of the village and the surrounding countryside.

 

 

- An history of Entrains

100 av J.C Entrains is a Gallic village inhabited by Eduens and Senons.
53 av J.C Vercingétorix makes visits Entrains to consult a renowned druid, who predicts his victory over the Romans.
52 av J.C After Cesar’s victory at Alésia, the Romans set up a legionnaires’ camp at « Mont des Alouettes. »
20 « Intaranum » becomes famous for its Jupiter and Apollo cults.
180 « Intaranum » numbers 25,000 inhabitants and many « Iteranes » relocate to Tuscany or take part in settling the city of Sienna.
258 Saint Pèlerin comes to proselytize Entrains, which had become a high site of paganism. Arrested by the Romans, he is executed near Bouhy, and a miraculous spring has run there ever since.
397 The temples are destroyed upon order of the Emperor Honorius.
412 First fortifications of Entrains.
841 The Duke of Acquitaine assembles his troops at Entrains and sets off for battle at Fontenoy, where Charles-le-Chauve’s victory liberates France from the Western Empire and establishes the independence of the French nation
1095 In the beginning of the Middle Ages, Geoffrey III, the Baron of Donzy and the Overlord of Entrains, is excommunicated for having seized control of the Episcopal territory of Varzy. He would eventually return this land to the religious leaders and be admitted back into the church.
1120 Construction is started of the five lakes that would surround Entrains until they were drained in the Nineteenth Century
1199 Hervé IV takes control of Nevers county and annexes Entrains to it. This warrior, who fought in the battle of Bouvine, will exhibit great generosity toward the church and will be responsible for founding a monastery at Entrains.
1230 The Antrein Burgers are free. They manage the community’s affairs without interference, and they elect their own mayors.
1327 Begining of the Hundred Years War. Entrains is taken over by the English
1422 Charles VII comes to power. The Nivernais and Donziais take the side of the King of England, who is supported by the Duke of Bugundy.
1426 A small outfit of royal troops commanded by Captain Ferrier takes control of Entrains and forces the Duke of Burgundy's governor, Josserand, to surrender and give up his post, after paying a fine.
1427 The Duke of Burgundy's troops return in force, crush the royal garrison at Nérondes, and then take over the city and destroy it.
1429 Joan of Arc besieges Orléans.
1437 Jacques Coeur, owner of the Saint Fargeau castle, is named Finance Minister by the King. The Middle Ages ends with is exile in Italy.
1472 War between Charles le Téméraire, the Duke of Burgundy, and Louis XI.
1483 Death of Louis XI, who has added Burgundy to the French kingdom.
1512 A large fire reduces the city to ashes
1515 During the Renaissance, Francis I grants the habitants of Entrains the financial aid they seek to rebuild their city.
1552 The King sends a troop of soldiers to guard a garrison at Entrains.
1562 Beginning of the religious wars. Captain Blosset’s Calvinist brigade takes control of Entrains and mistreats its population.
1563 The Catholics take back Entrains and slaughter the Protestants.
1598 Henry IV passes a law of religious tolerance : the Edict of Nantes. The Huguenots construct their place of worship in front of the church.
1604 Charles of Gonzagues, the Duke of Nivernais, sells the Entrains manor, subject to a repurchase option, to Antoine of Thiboutot, governor of the Puysaye region.
1606 The Duchess of Nivernais buys back her manor for 62,400 pounds plus fees.
1608 The Duke of Nevers pays for the construction of a covered market in order to stimulate commerce in Entrains.
1635 Roger of Saint-Lary, peer of the kingdom and governor of Burgundy, falls into disgrace and retreats with his inner circle to Entrains, where he constructs the house known as « the Admiral’s House ». For eight years, Entrains enjoys a period of great liveliness thanks to the numerous noblemen and their retinues who pass through. Indeed, Entrains takes on an aristocratic feel, much to the envy of its neighboring towns.
1647 The habitants of Entrains are held for ransom by a company of soldiers stationed there under the watch of the German captain Hermite.
1653 An army of the King, made up of 12,000 men, passes through Entrains, pillaging it and ransoming it upon encountering the troops of Condé.
1659 Charles II of Gonzague, crippled by debt, sells the Duchy of Nivernais to Cardinal Mazarin.
1674 Joseph de Lisle, a Paris attorney , comes to Entrains in order to redefine taxes levied on its residents..
1685 Louis XIV revokes the Edict of Nantes. Protestants either flee Entrains or cease the overt exercise of their religion there. . .
1707 The residents of Entrains commence legal proceedings to oppose « tolls » imposed by the Duke of Nivernais on livestock crossing over his domain. They are ultimately victorious in their suit thirty years later.
1747 An unexplained epidemic ravages nearly half of the cattle in France. In one month, Entrains loses 90% of its livestock.
1748 A rabid wolf bites two children and two adults in the vicinity of Couloutre and Mineray.
1779 The Duke of Nevers grants Gabriel Sallé, a physician in Donzy, an eighteen-year lease on the Entrains manor, in exchange for a promise to drain the lakes and transform them into arable parcels of land.
1790 Entrains is made the local capital by the National Assembly. Its mayor, Barthélemi Duverne, decides to build a town hall at Place aux Vaches.
1833 Confection du cadastre : 2400 habitants occupent 389 habitations. La superficie totale de la commune est 5884 hectares.
1851 Upon the death of Elisa Roy, Countess of Lariboisière, her fortune is bequeathed to the city of Paris for the establishment of a hospital, and a charitable foundation is inaugurated to benefit the Church of Entrains, in exchange for a perpetual mass.
1875 A giant Gallo-Roman statue of Apollo is discovered, which is today kept at the Saint Germain en Laye museum. Construction of the Chateau de Réveillon is completed. It is built upon the foundation of the former Entrains manor home.
1879 Father Baudiau publishes his « History of Entrains », which is illustrated with engravings by Amédée Julien, curator of the Clamecy Museum.
1895 Abel Rabion , justice of the peace , becomes mayor of Entrains.
1918 The veteran Abel Petit, returns to his home at Square Saint Cyr to get married and devote himself to a life of art.
1920 Birth, on August 27, of Jean Guy Petit at « La Buissière », Square Saint Cyr.
1940 The German army invades and occupies Entrains.
1944 The American army liberates Entrains on its way north.
1962 Jean Guy Petit marries Christiane Enck .
1964 Entrains is twinned with the German city Monzingen Am Nahe.
1970 Archeologist Jean Bernard Devauges defends his thesis « Gallo Roman Entrains », which will later be published in 1988. Establishment of the « House of archeological findings ».
1975 François Mitterand visits « La Fouelle » where lives his friend Doctor Allen who predicts his victory in the next presidential race.
1986 « La Buissière » is acquired by the Weissberg-Briffa family.
1989 The mayor’s office decks the town with flags for the Bicentennial of the French Revolution. Entrains is twinned with the American city of Saranac Lake. Deputy Mayor Jean Louis Allen is handed the keys to the city of Saranac Lake by Mayor Bill Madden III.
1990 A delegation of 20 residents of Saranac Lake comes to Entrains to take part in the ceremony of return to Entrains. The first chamber music festival put on by the Haut Nivernais Academy of Music is held. The Academy was created by Pierre Pontier, respected pianist and new owner of « La Fouelle ».
1991 Eighty Nivernais residents travel to Saranac Lake during the month of July.
1992 Saranac Lake celebrates a hundred years of existence as a chartered city.
1993 Aurélien and Pierre Pontier provide a concert in Saranac Lake among the festivities of the 4th festival of chamber music of Entrains .
1994 Grand opening of the « Maison des Adirondacks » on the 4th of July. Jack Weissberg, a WW II veteran of the U.S. Air Force and lover of France, passes away in Entrains on August 13.
1996 Paul Sorgule and his team install the first group of interns from Paul Smith’s College at the Maison des Adirondacks.
1998 Aurelien Pontier gives his third Adirondack concert in Lake Placid .
1999 Jeanne DeMattos is elected president of the sister cities association of Saranac Lake.
2000 Entrains celebrates its entry into the third millennium. Celebration of the 10 years anniversary of the twinning with Saranac Lake.
2001 More visitors in Entrains and Saranac Lake
   
   
Site original crée par Christopher WEISSBERG